"May the words of my mouth and meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, my Lord and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Sunday, August 16, 2009

menu planning

In an effort to continue to save money in our household, I've decided to get more serious about menu planning. When hubby and I first got married, I wrote out the dinner menu on Sunday evening, made a list and got to shopping on Monday for all of the ingredients. I have since learned that this isn't the most cost effective method to menu planning. There was always some obscure ingredient that was never on sale and had to be added to every other meal. I've been able to find some "stealin' deals" and I try to make my menu out of what I already have. Or at least that's what I'm going to start doing this week!

I'm just putting down a rough idea, nothing stringent that must be followed in order. If we don't feel like chicken one night, I'll make something else off the list. (I'm sure you get the idea)

BREAKFAST:
whole wheat waffles
cereal
egg/toast
oatmeal w/raisins


LUNCH:
cheese sticks/tomatoes
chicken sandwiches
leftover chicken wings
yogurt/blueberries
veggies/cheese/crackers


DINNER:
taco burgers
broccoli cheese soup
bean/cheese burritos
quinoa/black beans
papa murphy's (??) *we'll see how far I get with this one! it's worth a shot
leftovers x 2


OK, so that was easy enough. Now I have the stuff already and no guess work until having to come up with another menu. What are you eating this week?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about ingredients/prep for your taco burgers!! I'm hungry now...

John, Kisti, Maren & Silas Felps said...

Hilarious...my question is the same as Rachel's? What is a taco burger? That did not come from our family!

John, Kisti, Maren & Silas Felps said...

Oh, I've got it...buns were on sale, but taco shells were not? Just a guess... :)

Gabbin' with Giff said...

Taco burgers are Homemade Gourmet Taco Soup mix in 2 lbs of burger. Then you make them with avacado/tomato/salsa/cheese. They're really good! :)