"May the words of my mouth and meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, my Lord and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

finances

It is with immense joy that I tell you all...we are sooo close to being debt free I can taste it! We have one month, possibly less until our final debt (our pick-up) is paid off! Never again will we purchase a brand new vehicle. We'll let someone else take that initial depreciation and then we'll buy it from them. :)

Our budget is going well. We have largely kept to it minus a couple of totally random things that I'm sure we'll come up with a category for next month, or not because the nature of their randomness.

Aside from our emergency fund we have funds set aside for new tires for this silly truck we paid too much for our only vehicle. It's so nice to actually plan ahead and not worry where the money will come from. Trips-tires, doctor bills-insurance...you know it's coming, why not set the money aside monthly.

After this (baby step #2) is complete, we will be moving on to BS #3: 3-6 months of expenses in a savings account. This is especially important for me as my hubby will be getting out of the military and having been "in" myself for 24 years (brat/wife) I'm a little nervous about the stability of the civilian world. I'm certain we'll be fine, but what a joy it will be to start our new journey with absolutely no debt and a bit of a cushion to fall back on if need be.

By the way, we will be making the phone call to Dave Ramsey to scream: WE'RE DEBT FREEEEEEEE!!! Any ideas on a photo to remember the day?

3 comments:

Maria said...

Congrats to you!! I would be excited too.

Anonymous said...

Jenna said:

Congratulations! How about a pic with a ribbon cutting in front of the vehicle! That says debt free!!!

I too was military when it was our time to get out these sites helped us virtual-exec dot com and consultingcompany dot com

we have made a wonderful transition and now own our own business!!!!

Michele said...

I am so excited for you... how much was it and how long did it take? I know you told me, but I don't remember.