"May the words of my mouth and meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, my Lord and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Saturday, June 6, 2009

stepping out a little more

During our (mom, sis, nephews & myself) haircuts the other day I kept asking God to give me an opportunity to talk with our hairdresser (we'll call her Suzi) about Him. At 3:16pm all three of our cell phone alarms went off.

**In a sermon a few weeks ago, the preacher told us to set our alarms for (John) 3:16 everyday. When your alarms goes off, stop and pray for those that don't have a close relationship with the Father.**

Perfect opportunity!

Of course she asks why all of our phones are going off at once. My sis tells her that at 3:16 our
preacher said to pray for someone.

(The following is a conversation I am having in my head with my sister.)

"Someone? Someone?! Not just someone! The lost...those that don't know the Lord." This carries on for a few moments and away goes my opportunity, the conversation had moved on to something else. After every last strand was chopped, we began to walk out the door.

Suzi says she has no idea what to do now as she finished with us very early. Then she goes on to say that we should pray for her at 3:16 every day this week as she would be going through many tests. Suzi has gone through several bouts with cancer and her tumor markers have gone up; they have to find out why this week. Immediately I think, "pray with her. Right now, pull her aside and pray with her for her week ahead."

All the while, I keep walking. With every step thinking:

Stop.

Pray.

With.

Her.

You asked for an opportunity, here it is. Pray with her.

Unfortunately I didn't not listen and just kept walking. "Kicking" myself all the while. Well, we get to the street corner and mom's phone rings...it's Suzi.

"Who has a red phone?"

Me.

I'm the one with the red phone that I never leave because that's the only way that I can receive calls from my husband many miles away.

I never leave it and that day I did.

I went back and explained to her what all was going on in my head throughout the appointment and the few moments afterward. I cried with her, prayed for her week and for peace for her through it all. If only I had listened the first time, what blessing it was!

If you could pause for a moment when you read this and send up a prayer for Suzi as she goes through all of this testing. Amazing how God works, don't you think?

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Amazing God - great story. I love that He sometimes gives us 2nd (and beyond) chances. I will be praying for Suzi also.

Michele said...

That is so awesome!!! God sure is long-suffering. Miss you