"May the words of my mouth and meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, my Lord and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Update on Breath-holding

Little one seems to be doing very well lately in the fit throwing/breath-holding department. That can be interpreted in many different ways. She's getting really good and throwing fits complete with leg kicking, high-pitched screaming, and breath-holding. Fortunately, she has not so much as passed out since this horrible afternoon over a month ago. I haven't even had to use the squirt bottles from this post. The first time she held her breath after the seizure I was calm cool and collected freaking out. She rolled on the floor and bonked her head at our small group bible study one Sunday night and started to cry. (Let me just say, your first instinct as a mother is to pick up your child crying child to comfort them. Sadly, right now, that's not an option for us. I have to comfort as much as I can crouching over her until she has calmed enough to be held without a fear of breath-holding.) I quickly ran over to her and she soon turned purple. I almost pulled the lid off of her milk and poured it in her face. I did get very close to her face and blow (rather hard) twice, but that seemed to only make her worse. When I calmed down got out of her face, she calmed down and was able to breath again without passing out. Show of hands, how many of you praise your child for breathing? :) (That's a regular occurrence 'round these parts.) God has given me a peace, that no matter what happens, everything will be fine. Since that night she has had less than 5 episodes and all of them ended with a deep breath followed by more crying (not glazed eyes and disorientation). Praise God! I don't know how many of you have ever had to go through breath-holding this severe with your children, but it's not something I would classify as thrilling or even fun. Putting her flat on her back makes a world difference. If you deal with this or know someone that does, please tell them that when their child begins to hold their breath: LAY THEM ON THE FLOOR! Flat on their back and there their little body can get blood and oxygen to all of the right places efficiently. Now that we've figured out how to prevent passing out, any ideas on how to prevent all attitudes ugly and unbecoming of a little lady?

No comments: